What The Pros Have To Say About Effective Tick Control For Your Westchester County Lawn
Whenever you’re out for a hike, the last thing you want to think about is the possibility of getting a tick bite. All you want to do is enjoy the scenery and take in the fresh air, but unfortunately, these nuisance pests have other plans in mind.
They’re out for blood, and if you’re providing them with easy access, they’re sure to bite. Here are some basic characteristics you can use to identify a tick:
- Range in size from a tiny poppy seed to a large apple seed
- Range in color from reddish-brown to grayish-black
- Flat, oval-shaped body with eight legs and no wings
- Turn reddish/purple and become engorged after feeding
Ticks are commonly found hiding out in densely vegetated areas like tall grass, wooded paths, shrubbery, and piles of leaves. They tend to hold onto vegetation with their third and fourth pairs of legs. This waiting position is called ‘questing’. Once a suitable host arrives, they latch onto them and release their grip on their questing location. So, even though they can’t fly or jump, they’ve figured out a sort of hitchhiking system that allows them to get around.
While ticks themselves may be small, they can have some very big consequences. These blood-feeders latch onto their hosts, biting and feeding on them for hours on end. If a tick is infected, their bite can lead to some very dangerous diseases that seriously compromise your health and wellbeing. Here are some of the most common tick-borne illnesses to be aware of:
- B. miyamotoi disease
- Bourbon virus
- Colorado tick fever
- Heartland virus
- Lyme disease
- Powassan virus
While not every single tick bite is guaranteed to transmit disease, it’s always a possibility. The risk alone is enough to make you want to get serious about your tick control needs.
The consequences can be detrimental, and you just don’t want to put yourself and your loved ones at risk. To be proactive in your tick control efforts, try implementing the following methods of prevention:
- Check everyone (including pets) for any ticks after being outside.
- Shower promptly after spending time outdoors.
- Stay out of tall grass, brush, and wooded areas.
- Treat your clothing with, or buy clothing pre-treated with, permethrin.
- Tumble dry your clothing on high heat for 10 minutes to kill off any ticks.
- Use insect repellents before participating in outdoor activities.
- Stay in the center of trails when walking, hiking, running, etc.
Another important aspect to keep in mind is the connection between wildlife control and tick control. Wildlife activity increases your property’s exposure to tick activity, meaning keeping wildlife hosts away is hugely important for keeping ticks away. Here are some prevention methods geared specifically towards reducing wildlife activity on your property:
- Annually inspect your roof for signs of water damage.
- Apply loose mortar and weather stripping around the foundation.
- Eliminate yard debris, leaf piles, brush, and decaying matter.
- Get proper fencing or repair existing fencing.
- Install chimney caps and cover tops of window wells.
- Keep moisture-rich areas of the house as dry as possible.
- Maintain well-trimmed landscaping and yard.
- Properly store garbage in sealed, secure containers.
- Store firewood a good distance away from the house.
- Store pet food and water dishes indoors.
- Use door sweeps and repair damaged screens.
The best way to reduce tick populations around the yard is to seek out professional assistance. Hello Pest Control is your go-to source for dependable tick control and prevention services that offer you comprehensive protection all year long. Leaving it up to DIY methods is just too big of a risk.
Our team of pest experts uses the most up to date technologies and effective treatment methods that are hard to access without the professionals. Protect your health and that of those you love with dependable tick solutions. Call us today to set up a thorough inspection.
Give Us A Call!
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.
“We didn’t even think twice about who to contact when we had a problem with termites.
Hello Pest Control always comes through for us.” Alexander M.
Get Started With Hello Pest Control Today
Contact us today to get started with immediate pest control services.
Hello Pest Control
545 Saw Mill River Rd
Ardsley, NY 10502
(914) 371 6871
Give Us A Call!