Termites are one of the most damaging pests a home or business facility can have. Though workers are only the size of a piece of rice, they invade structures in large numbers and cause serious problems as they feed on the wood day and night. Over time, major structural damage will occur that is costly and time-consuming to repair.
To help eliminate current termites problems or prevent future ones in Westchester County and surrounding areas, call Hello Pest Control!
What Are Termites?
Termites are small, wood-eating insects. These unique organisms are one of the few that can turn cellulose into a usable source of energy. They are social insects that live and work together in large groups. A termite colony divides its members into different castes (groups).
Worker termites are white, have a soft body, and are about the size of a grain of rice. They are responsible for gathering food (wood) to feed their colony. Soldiers have an elongated, yellow-colored head.
They have strong jaws that they use to defend the colony from danger. Winged termites (reproductives) are the members of the colony most likely to be seen by people. They swarm from the colony in the springtime, leaving behind their discarded wings, and searching for a new place to make it into their home.
A termite swarm looks very similar to an ant swarm, and it’s a challenge for people to tell the difference. If you suspect a termite infestation, it is best to contact a professional. Termite control experts can correctly identify the infestation and provide proper treatment.
Are Termites Dangerous?
Termites are dangerous, not because they bite us or spread diseases, but because they spread destruction. Termites have the unique ability to move into structures unnoticed, where they can work for long periods. In many cases, the termite’s damage becomes apparent before the termites.
Termite damage can be very costly to repair. Unfortunately, most home and business insurance policies don’t cover termite damage. Putting preventative services into place is the best way to minimize the chance these destructive pests find their way into your home.
Why Do I Have a Termite Problem?
Your property is more likely to be damaged by termites than it is by any other pest. These pests cost Americans billions of dollars in damages every year, and they can be found all over the country.
Termites are moisture-seeking pests and will find their way onto any property with damp soil and plenty of wood and other plant material to eat. Properties near or next to wooded areas are very susceptible to termite infestations.
Where Will I Find Termites?
Termites move through the soil, searching for food sources. Worker termites are blind and often accidentally find their way into our home through cracks in concrete foundations and then move into wooden floor joists.
Homes with crawlspaces are at greater risk of infestation. These foundations are usually still made out of wood instead of concrete. Other parts of your home that termites will infest include wooden windows, doors, and structural beams behind walls. Also, broken roof tiles will attract some species of termites and allow them to access the inside of your home.
Termites can cause damage to things in your yard as well. They may damage your garden, infest wooden fence posts, trees, or wooden play structures or decks.
Signs of a termite infestation:
- The most common way people discover a termite infestation is by witnessing a termite swarm. However, you may also detect a termite infestation by noticing the following signs of their damage.
- These pests can destroy laminate flooring and skirting boards, with the affected flooring blistering and sagging in certain areas. Spongy feeling floors are another sign of a termite infestation.
- Termites damage walls and ceilings. If you have unexplained cracks in internal walls or see similar cracks in ceilings or cornices, termites could be the cause.
- Depending on the type of foundation your home has, you might also notice signs of a termite infestation in your foundation.
- A large termite invasion will show itself when doors and windows become difficult to open or close.
- The most telltale sign of a termite infestation is hollow-sounding wood. If you can tap on your walls or other wooden surfaces – including furniture – and it sounds hollow, you might have a termite infestation.
You may also notice termite droppings or mud tubes on exterior walls (usually found near the exterior of your foundation).
How Do I Get Rid of Termites?
Termites don’t stop for anything. They’ll work through your walls, foundations, ceilings, and furniture twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. They will feed on the wood until it is entirely hollow.
To eliminate these destructive pests from your home or business, you need professional assistance. For information about Hello Pest Control’s termite control services, contact Hello Pest Control today!
How Can I Prevent Termites in the Future?
Preventing problems with termites is difficult. They live, feed, and breed outside. Also, they mainly travel through the ground unseen by people. Though it is not easy, there are some steps you can take to make your property less attractive to termites:
- Eliminate potential food sources outside of your home by eliminating excess firewood, leaf piles, decaying wood mulch, fallen trees, and tree stumps from your yard.
- Moisture attracts termites. Eliminate areas of standing water near your home, fix leaky pipes and fixtures, and cut shrubs away from the outside of your house to help the sun dry out the soil.
- Make sure to install gutters correctly to direct water away from your home.
- Create a crushed rock barrier of at least 12 to 18 inches between the foundation and any soil or mulch.
- Use exhaust fans in kitchens and bathrooms to limit excess moisture.
- Lower humidity levels in your home by using dehumidifiers and air conditioners.
Call Hello Pest Control For Termite Treatments
We will work with you to develop a comprehensive, cost-effective solution to your termite problem. We know that a termite infestation can be stressful and frustrating. Our goal is to make sure you get rid of your termite infestation as quickly and painlessly as possible.
We also perform regular inspections, so that small termite populations don’t explode without your noticing. Regular inspections help homeowners avoid expensive repair bills and property destruction in the future.
Contact Hello Pest Control today, so we can work together to make your property termite-free!
Give Us A Call!
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.
“We didn’t even think twice about who to contact when we had a problem with termites.
Hello Pest Control always comes through for us.” Alexander M.
Hello Pest Control
545 Saw Mill River Rd
Ardsley, NY 10502
(914) 371 6871
Give Us A Call!