How To Keep Wasps Away From Your Bronx, NY Yard
Few Bronx residents can enjoy their yards because of flying pests. Business owners will have a difficult time having events to draw customers and investors with buzzing bugs in the air. They can’t afford for people to be bitten or stung.
As a whole, stinging insects are categorized as wasps. Every subspecies has specific characteristics. There are differences in appearance, behavior, and risk factors, among other aspects. If you learn more about local groups, you’ll be better prepared to combat them. Hello Pest Control can lend a hand!
What Wasps Are in the Bronx? What Are the Dangers?
Paper wasps and yellow jackets are rampant in the area. Being 1 inch long, paper wasps are sizable. People usually think they’re bees because of their black wings and the yellow markings on their brown skin. If you look closely though, their elongated frames are much more narrow and thin. Their nests can be found around window sills, door frames, foundation voids, and roof eaves. Structural gaps and open windows or doors are their typical entryways. Just one paper wasp means you have an infestation.
The cocoon process paper wasps have is unique, separating them from their relatives. Using their saliva, they mesh chunks of plant matter together. The result is a papery shell, shaped like an umbrella. Considering this, the pests are sometimes called “umbrella wasps.” Seeing the interior of the nest is not an option because the material will be too dense.
Yellow jackets are frequently misidentified as bees too. While they have a lot less body hair and their waists are skinnier, their yellow and black shading confuses folks. It’s also not common knowledge that some of these critters are white and black. Their wings are longer than their 0.39 to 0.62 of inch figures. If there’s plenty of insects, nectar, sugar, and meat on your property, yellow jackets will come. Nests will generally be at the ground level by sidewalks, patios, tree bases, and voids. Aerial ones signify an infestation.
Further facts about wasps are:
- The Ecosystem Needs Them: Their pollination and feeding habits steady the environment.
- Their Stings Cause Many Issues: Pain, itching, inflammation, and warmth come with their stings. Medical attention may be needed, as intense physical and/or allergic responses may occur. Wasps can strike several times.
How Can Bronx Wasps Be Prevented?
Detailed exterior maintenance is a critical part of wasp deterrence. Key elements are improved cleaning and yard care. Take the following steps:
- Cut the grass and trim the greenery on a routine basis. Plug holes in the ground and get rid of organic debris. \
- For gardens, use citronella, eucalyptus, and other repellent plants.
- Sit flowers and shrubs two feet away from the property. Try not to overwater and over-seed them.
- Wash out vents and gutters regularly.
- Put food and garbage in containers with secure lids.
- Make sure roof eaves, decks, and porches stay neat and food isn’t left on them.
- Patch up holes in windows, doors, and foundations.
- Contact Hello Pest Control if you have critters that wasps eat.
What Can Hello Pest Control Do About Bronx Wasps?
Approaching wasps or their nests is not a good idea, because you could be stung suddenly by a group of these bugs or just one. This is especially true if you go after them with an insecticide, which tends to agitate them. Plus, shelf goods can be toxic. For a safer, more effective solution, reach out to us at Hello Pest Control. Our technicians will apply industrial-grade solutions that you can’t find anywhere else. They will locate vulnerabilities and nests, and address them properly. Call today for a no-obligation inspection!